Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Final Ensemble Guitar Piece for Festival

     The final mass ensemble piece has finally been chosen for the festival.  We have decided to perform El Noi de la Mare, which is a traditional Catalan Folksong.  I have taken on the task of arranging the piece for guitar trio.  While I have taken classes in arranging, this will be the first time others will actually be listening. 
     I am basing the arrangement of Miguel Llobet's version.  The piece is absolutely beautiful and can't wait to hear ~100 guitars playing at the same time.  Should be an incredible experience. 
      I have also included a video of Andres Segovia playing the piece from youtube.  I have been reading a lot of rumors that after his passing, El Noi de la Mare was on his music stand.  If this is true, then there is a possibility that this was the last piece he played before his passing (although I have not been able to find any definitive evidence or documentation stating that this was true).

Let me know what you think :)

Dennis Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment