Thursday, June 30, 2011

Community Guitar Performance

     I would like to take this time to congratulate some of my students.  They signed up for the group lessons a few months ago, and have been working like crazy to get some music prepared.  On June 12, they were able to put together all the music and do a performance at the local church.  I'm not going to post their names, but I will describe the concert.
     We first started with Baby Bumblebee.  This piece worked out perfectly because each guitarist was able to a capella the "cute" parts at the end... three verses, three students.  All of the students really amazed me at how much they worked on their music at home.  I had given them shortcuts to help them out, and to my surprise, they all went home and learned the chords properly.
     Next, we broke off into solos and duets.  The girl in pink played her acoustic guitar and sang "Mary had a Little Lamb."  Anyone who has ever played the guitar knows how hard it is to sing and play at the same time, and she did amazing.
     This was followed by a classical guitar duet between myself and the girl in the purple.  We played the traditional song, "El noi de la Mare."  The skill we worked on here was how to play with your fingers and without a pick.
     The last duet was between myself and the boy.  He played a swinging I IV blues progression, while I played a solo based off of the minor pentatonics... a skill that he will be learning soon.
     The final piece was another group song, "Jesus Loves Me."  However, we learned some power chords and were able to add a little twist of rock into this normally traditional song.  All three of students amazed me so much, and I am so proud to be teaching them how to play the guitar, and for welcoming them as part of my family.



No comments:

Post a Comment