Sunday, June 19, 2011

The Recorder, a gateway instrument?

     Remember during your elementary years, and you had to learn that ridiculous instrument called a recorder?  I do.  This small piece of plastic that looked like a toy.  Having to sanitize it in that bucket after we used the mouthpiece.  Placing my fingers over the small little holes.  Can anyone even name a professional recorder player (I know there are some out there)?
     So why am I bringing up this random instrument.  Simple, because of the number of guitar students I have that when I interview them, they say they have no musical background.  All of a sudden, I put some music theory reference charts in front of them, and they are sightreading accurately on there first lesson.  I could go on and on about the importance of music in the public school system, but that is a can of worms that I don't want to deal with.  However, this little instrument helps to provide the basic music fundamentals needed in order to play more advanced and complex instruments.
    So this makes me wonder, how many professional musicians, had it not been for this "elementary" instrument, would not have gone off to play and create some absolutely amazing music... even on recorders.

No comments:

Post a Comment